Pop-Up & Pop-Under Windows – A Note To Webmasters

It never ceases to amaze me how many web sites I visit make use of pop-up or pop-under windows. It used to be just the really skanky sites that used these all the time, but I have noticed a trend recently in some far more mainstream web sites that have started utilizing them.

I have about twelve web sites at the last count and not one of them has ever used this technique. Nor will they ever. Pop-ups (or unders) are annoying and iniquitous. No visitor likes them. And for all you web masters out there that think pop-ups are the greatest thing since sliced bread try conducting a survey and see what results you get. I did years ago and the results showed that an overwhelming 98% “hated” them. And the other 2% “didn’t care.” Nobody voted in favor of them.

Back then I was relatively new to web design and although I hated the damn things personally I was prepared to use them should my visitors want them. Well, they obviously didn’t and neither do I.

One of the beauties of the Internet is that there is a vast amount of choice available. I have seen pop-ups result from mouse movement on the page, clicking on a link, time spent on page, closing the window, and just plain old appear as soon as you get to the page. I don’t care what technique is used I will immediately go elsewhere and I will not go back.

As a user I do NOT have to put up with this insidious crap.

Let me put it this way…

If somebody came up to you in the street and shoved a flyer in your face without asking, would you…

1) Say “Oh gosh. Thanks so much. I really wanted to see that.”

or…

2) Say “Fuck off” or something similar?

Think about it and then change your mind about using them.

One Response

  1. Ms. Sanity 07/12/2009

Leave a Reply

two + eight =